Insurance and safety abroad

Emergency numbers and procedures in case of crises abroad

In case of acute crises abroad
A) Contact local police, fire department, and/or ambulance/doctor as required.
B) Contact the nearest Norwegian Foreign Service Station or UD's Operative Centre at + 47 239 50 000 (after hours).
C) Contact the Sjømannskirken 24-hour emergency telephone line + 47 951 19 181.
D) Contact HVO International Office + 47 70 07 51 20.

You may also refer to the emergency preparedness plan (Norwegian) or

In less acute situations
Follow the advice given from the host institution. Contact the International Office at the host institution abroad or the International Office at HVO. The emergency telephone for Ithe VUC International Office is + 47 70 07 51 20.

Norwegian Church Abroad 
Volda University College has an agreement with the Norwegian Church Abroad (Sjømanskirken), which allows us to use their networks in emergency situations. We strongly recommend downloading their app. This gives you emergency numbers for all countries, and numbers to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (UD)Operative Centre. Note that the ministry requests Norwegian citizens traveling to certain countries/regions to register in their travel registration portal.

Declaration form

It is important that you submit the Contact Information form to the International Office as soon as all information is available. The Contact Information form gives us information about relatives we should contact in case of emergency, as well as accurate dates for your stay abroad.

Remember to update both your family and VUC regarding your new address and phone number abroad. For VUC, you do this by registering your new address as a temporary semester address in StudentWeb.

Health insurance abroad

Health insurance within EU/EEA

If you live in Norway, you are as a general rule a member of the National Insurance Scheme. In order for you to be considered resident in Norway, your stay in Norway must last for at least 12 months. When you move to Norway to be here for at least 12 months, you become a member from your date of entry to Norway. As a full-time student at a college or university approved by the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund or the NAV National Office for Social Insurance Abroad, you retain membership of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme while you are studying abroad. You need to take your European Health Insurance Card with you from Norway.

For more information, visit HELFO or NAV.

Health insurance outside EU/EEA

When you are a full-time student at a college or university outside of the EU/EEA and are a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme, you are entitled to reimbursement for expenses for health care services. If you do not receive support from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund and intend to study abroad for less than one year, you have to submit documentation of your planned studies abroad to HELFO. Read more here.

Travel accident insurance

In addition to health insurance, you should have travel accident insurance. We recommend you contact your insurance company regarding this. Note that regular travel insurance for holidays abroad often is limited to 45 days. If you need to order additional insurance, ANSA (Association of Norwegian Students Abroad) offers a deal that is designed specifically for students abroad.


Vaccines are sometimes necessary before departure. More information can be found at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health.

Practical advice for a safe semester abroad

Make copies of your passport, visa and other important documents. Keep the originals safe, and make sure to leave an extra copy at home.

You should also save the local emergency numbers to your phone.