Apply for student exchange

Requirements for student exchange

General requirements for student exchange

You need to be registered as a student at a study programme at Volda University College (VUC) in order to go on student exchange.

For student exchange at the Bachelor's level, you need to have completed a minimum of 60 ECTS credits before studying abroad. For student exchange at the Master's level, you need to have completed 30 ECTS credits prior to going abroad.

You must be registered as a student at VUC and have paid the semester registration fee for the semester you study abroad. It is your responsibility to pay the semester fee and to approve your study plan (utdanningsplan) within the given deadlines. 


Requirements from partner universities

The admission requirements and application requirements for student exchange depends on the university you apply to and the courses you wish to take (some have course-specific requirements). You can find out more about these requirements in meetings with the VUC International Office. 

Most of VUCs partneruniversities in the USA, UK and Australia require specific documentation of English language skills. In addition to international standardized test, such as IELTS and TOEFL, most partner universities approve documentation of completed secondary education in Norway with the grade 4 or better in English from the first level (grunnkurs). If you have not completed Norwegian secondary school or if you received an English grade lower than 4, you would have to document English language skills in other ways.

Finally, there are some partner universities who require that incoming students has a C-average from courses taken at VUC.

Guidance and counceling

If you are not sure about student exchange, you may approach your professor, the International Coordinator at your faculty or the VUC International Office. We can offer advice on student exchange and provide information about the various options that would suit your interest. We recommend that you select at least two of VUC's partner universities (perhaps one in Europe and one outside Europe) to compare the pros and cons of the different alternatives.


Internal application for exchange

To apply for student exchange, you send the following documents to the VUC International Office:

◦Application form for exchange - "Søknadsskjema for utveksling" (pdf) 
◦Photocopy of your passport (the page with your photo and personal information)
◦Grade transcript from secondary school/high school or other ways to document your English language skills
◦Grade transcript from VUC - ask for an English version of your transcript from Student services
◦If applicable, the Preliminary Statement of Financial Support from the Norwegian Lånekassen - or other documentation of financial aid

The documents, apart from the application form, may be sent by e-mail to the VUC International Office.

The application deadline for student exchange is 1. October for exchange in the spring semester and 1. March for exchange in the autumn semester. 
If you plan to spend a semester outside Europe, you should start the planning earlier as it takes a long time to arrange for practical matters before departure.


External application

After you have submitted your internal application to the VUC International Office, we will review your application and forward it to your #1 priority partner university abroad. We try our best to enable students to exchange to their first choice, but in some cases, there are more applicants than places and we will have to select among the applicants. This is also one of the reasons why we ask you to consider more than one university abroad and to list 2-3 universities in your application.