TOD105 Script writing
Admission will be based on study programs, where 15 places are reserved for theatre students. The remaining 5 places, and eventual available places are open to students from the exchange programs and students from media programs at VUC, based on a letter of motivation.
Writing scripts for different media is a growing industry, and this course focuses on writing short scripts for stage and screen. This course is a mainly digital course, with individual guidance, that introduces the students to script writing.
The students will work on:
- Idea development and synopsis
- Constructing characters and plot
- Dramaturgy and adaptation
In accordance with the National Qualifications Framework the student will achieve the following learning outcomes after completing the course:
- has basic knowledge of selected theories of dramaturgy, adaptation and script writing
- has knowledge of key processes within script writing for short films and one act stage plays
- can apply knowledge of the script writing process, and the adaptation prosess, in order to write scripts
- can apply knowledge of dramaturgy, character, plot and dialogue to write one act plays and short films
- can participate in debates on different kinds of scripts on a digital platform
a) The course is mostly digitally based, with written work to be handed in and critiqued through the course of the semester.
b) The classes will consist of a variety of teaching methods:
- seminars and workshops
- net lectures and tasks
- script readings
- film viewings
- 5 plays in 5 days - challenge
The course will have a special focus on individual guidance to help the students develop their script writing.
The course has compulsary attendance.
b) Course work
- Three scripts (2500 words each), one for stage, one for screen and one adaptation.
On all course works you have two attempts to pass.
Grading will be done in accordance with the Regulations governing admission, studies and examinations at Volda University College.
|Form of assessment||Grouping||Duration||Type of duration||Grading scale||Proportion||Comment||Supported material||Scope|
|Portfolio||Individual||1||Week||A-F, A is the best grade and E is the lowest passing grade||100||The student chooses one of the three short scripts from the course works, which is evaluated and graded after the student has had one week for revising the script.||All||2500-3500 words|
|Form of assessment:||Portfolio|
|Type of duration:||Week|
|Grading scale:||A-F, A is the best grade and E is the lowest passing grade|
|Comment:||The student chooses one of the three short scripts from the course works, which is evaluated and graded after the student has had one week for revising the script.|