NOIN101 Norwegian Language, Civilization and Academic life – an Introduction
Applicants must be qualified to study at a university or university college in accordance with the Higher Education Entrance Qualification. The course does not require Norwegian language skills.
This course is intended for international students in the Erasmus student exchange programme. The course will provide students with a basic introduction to Norwegian language (nynorsk), society and national character. The aim of the study is to support the students in adapting to the Norwegian college culture. The students will gain more benefit from the exchange program by developing on the one an expanded understanding of the country they are visiting, and on the other hand being able to understand and speak Norwegian at an elementary level.
In accordance with the National Qualification Framework the student will have following learning outcome after completing the course:
After completing the course, the students will possess knowledge about:
- Highlights of Norwegian history, geography and civilization
- Some characteristics of Norwegian mentality and culture
- Basic Norwegian language (the Nynorsk variety)
- How to write academic texts
- The role of a student in Norway
After completing the course, the students are able to:
- Communicate in Norwegian on a basic level using simple, everyday language and expressions.
- Write academic texts
The students will acquire some knowledge of the main characteristics of Norwegian society, and of what is expected of students in Norwegian university colleges.
- The teaching will involve interactive discussion-based lectures, group work and presentations. The course will be taught in English. During the course, the students will have to produce a text in English for which they will be given individual supervision. The text must adhere to standards for academic writing. The final assessment in the course is based on the final version of this text.
- Grading scale: Pass / fail
During the course, each student is required to:
- Complete one individually written assignment of approximately 1000 words. The students will be given individual guidance during the writing process.
- Give an oral group-presentation in Norwegian.
- Attendance is compulsory.
Sensur blir gjennomført i samsvar med Forskrift om opptak, studium og eksamen ved Høgskulen i Volda.
The course will be evaluated in accordance with the University College’s routines for quality assurance.
|Form of assessment||Grouping||Duration||Type of duration||Grading scale||Proportion||Comment||Supported material||Scope|
|Oppgave||Individual||1||Semester||A-F, A is the best grade and E is the lowest passing grade|
|Form of assessment:||Oppgave|
|Type of duration:||Semester|
|Grading scale:||A-F, A is the best grade and E is the lowest passing grade|