MMP307 Documentary Film Theory and Analysis
The subject is based on central theoretical questions linked to fiction and documentary film. Through critical discussions of these theories, we thematize perspectives and problems fruitful in regards to the analysis of documentary films.
In accordance with the National Qualifications Framework the student will achieve the following learning outcomes after completing the course:
- Advanced knowledge of the history of documentary film.
- Solid knowledge of how documentary films and TV reports presents and represents reality.
- Solid knowledge of rhetorical devices in film in general and documentary film in particular.
- Skills in analyzing problems and questions related to the documentary profession, based on the history, traditions and singularity of documentary film, and its role in society.
- Skills in analyzing existing theories, methods and interpretations in the field of documentary, and skills in working independently with practical and theoretical problem solving.
- Skills in using theory of documentary film in producing and analyzing one’s own productions.
- Ability to refer to theories and productions contextualizing the role and significance of documentary film and TV reports in society and democracy.
- Be able to participate in public debate, thereby to increase the quality of documentary film and TV reporting.
Lectures, seminars and film screenings.
Examination results are executed in accordance with the Directive for Admission, Studies and Examination at Volda University College, chapter 5.
|Form of assessment||Grouping||Duration||Type of duration||Grading scale||Proportion||Comment||Supported material||Scope|
|Portfolio||Individual||1||Week||A-F, A is the best grade and E is the lowest passing grade||Submission of work done throughout the course. 2-3 written texts, and a very short documentary production.|
|Form of assessment:||Portfolio|
|Type of duration:||Week|
|Grading scale:||A-F, A is the best grade and E is the lowest passing grade|
|Scope:||Submission of work done throughout the course. 2-3 written texts, and a very short documentary production.|